1505 Kasold Dr #2
Lawrence, KS 66047


Available 24 - 7

Mon-Fri 9:00a-5:00p
Office Hours

Are You a Victim of Elder Abuse or Neglect? Here’s Where to Get Help in Kansas

Are you over the age of 60 and being abused or neglected by a loved one or caregiver? You’re not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year, hundreds of thousands of people in your age group are abused, neglected, or financially exploited. And the abuse often happens in their own homes.

What is elder abuse?

Maybe you’re not sure if you’re actually being abused because nobody has harmed you physically. But consider this. Elder abuse is any mistreatment of an older person, most often by a caregiver. So it’s not just physical abuse. It can also be emotional abuse, financial exploitation, or neglect or abandonment.

What to do if you’re a victim

If you’re a victim of elder abuse, you may have hesitated to report your abuser because you feel ashamed that it’s gone on so long. Or you’re afraid if you report it there will be repercussions. Or you’re in the early stages of Alzheimer’s or other form of dementia and are having trouble communicating.

Whatever your reasons, rest assured that the abuse is not your fault. But it’s not safe for you to allow it to continue. If it essclates, as abuse often does, it could eventually lead to:

  • More pain and suffering
  • Broken bones
  • Bed sores that won’t heal
  • A drug overdose
  • Unpaid bills
  • Loss of savings or retirement fund
  • Death

So if you’re being harmed by a loved one or caregiver in any way, get help now. Here are the numbers you can call if you live in Kansas.

  • Domestic/community abuse:
    Kansas Department for Children and Families Adult Protective Services
  • Nursing home, hospital, home health agency, etc. abuse or neglect:
    Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
Comments are closed.